The Xu-Friedman lab studies the mechanisms and functions of synaptic plasticity, focussing on auditory nerve synapses in the mouse cochlear nucleus as a model system. The lab investigates both activity- and neuromodulator-dependent plasticities, using electrophysiology and calcium imaging in brain slices. In addition, the functional effects of plasticity are being studied by recording from auditory nerve and cochlear nucleus in vivo.
To download the latest version of mafPC, click here
(For a Partial List of Dr. Xu-Friedman's Publications click here)
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2013) Stochastic properties of neurotransmitter release expand the dynamic range of synapses. J Neurosci 33: 14406-14416.
- Xu-Friedman MA (2013) Illustrating concepts of quantal analysis with an intuitive classroom model. Adv Physiol Educ 37: 112-116.
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2012) Emergence of coordinated plasticity in the cochlear nucleus and cerebellum. J Neurosci 32: 7862-7868
- Chanda S and Xu-Friedman MA (2011). Excitatory Modulation in the Cochlear Nucleus through Group I Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor Activation. J Neurosci 31: 7450-7455.
- Chanda S, Oh S and Xu-Friedman MA (2011). Calcium imaging of auditory nerve fiber terminals in the cochlear nucleus. J Neurosci Methods 195: 24-29.
- Chanda S and Xu-Friedman MA (2010). A low-affinity antagonist reveals saturation and desensitization in mature synapses in the auditory brainstem. J Neurophysiol 103: 1915-1926.
- Chanda S and Xu-Friedman MA (2010). Neuromodulation by GABA Converts a Relay into a Coincidence Detector. J Neurophysiol 104: 11466-11475.
- Wei L, Ding D, Sun W, Xu-Friedman MA and Salvi R (2010). Effects of sodium salicylate on spontaneous and evoked spike rate in the dorsal cochlear nucleus. Hear Res 267: 54-60.
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2010). Developmental mechanisms for suppressing the effects of delayed release at the endbulb of Held. J Neurosci 30: 11466-11475.
- Pliss L, Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2009). Context-dependent effects of NMDA receptors on precise timing information at the endbulb of held in the cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 102: 2627-2637.
- Radziwon KE, June KM, Stolzberg DJ, Xu-Friedman MA, Salvi RJ and Dent ML (2009). Behaviorally measured audiograms and gap detection thresholds in CBA/CaJ mice. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 195: 961-969.
- Strenzke N, Chanda S, Kopp-Scheinpflug C, Khimich D, Reim K, Bulankina AV, Neef A, Wolf F, Brose N, Xu-Friedman MA and Moser T (2009). Complexin-I is required for high-fidelity transmission at the endbulb of Held auditory synapse. J Neurosci 29: 7991-8004.
- Xu-Friedman MA (2009). Synaptic depression. Encyclopedia of Neuroscience. Squire LR, Academic Press: 725-730.
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2009). Impact of synaptic depression on spike timing at the endbulb of Held. J Neurophysiol 102: 1699-1710.
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2008). Relative roles of different mechanisms of depression at the mouse endbulb of Held. J Neurophysiol 99: 2510-2521.