Dr. Matthew A. Xu-Friedman
Office: Hochstetter 661
Office Hours: Wednesday 11:00am – 1:00pm
Tel: (716) 645-4992
Fax: (716) 645-2975
B.S. Yale University
Ph.D. Cornell University
Postdoctoral Research at Harvard Medical School
To access the Xu-Friedman lab website, click here
The Xu-Friedman lab studies the mechanisms and functions of synaptic plasticity, focussing on auditory nerve synapses in the mouse cochlear nucleus as a model system. The lab investigates both activity- and neuromodulator-dependent plasticities, using electrophysiology and calcium imaging in brain slices. In addition, the functional effects of plasticity are being studied by recording from auditory nerve and cochlear nucleus in vivo.
To download the latest version of mafPC, click here
(For a more complete list at PubMed click here)
- Zhuang XW, Sun W, and Xu-Friedman MA (2017) Changes in properties of auditory nerve synapses following conductive hearing loss. J Neurosci 37: 323-332.
- Featured in This Week in the Journal
- Yang Y, Ramamurthy B, Neef A, Xu-Friedman MA (2016) Low somatic sodium conductance enhances action potential precision in time-coding auditory neurons. J Neurosci 36: 11999–12009.
- Toal KL, Radziwon KE, Holfoth DP, Xu-Friedman MA, and Dent ML (2016) Audiograms, gap detection thresholds, and frequency difference limens in cannabinoid receptor 1 knockout mice. Hear Res 332: 217-222.
Yang Y and Xu-Friedman MA (2015) Different pools of glutamate receptors mediate sensitivity to ambient glutamate in the cochlear nucleus. J Neurophysiol 113: 3634-45.
Yang Y, Adowski T, Ramamurthy B, Neef A, and Xu-Friedman MA (2015) High-speed dynamic-clamp interface. J Neurophysiol 113: 2713-20.
Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2015) Skipped-stimulus approach reveals that short-term plasticity dominates synaptic strength during ongoing activity. J Neurosci 35: 8297-307.
Ngodup T, Goetz JA, McGuire BC, Sun W, Lauer AM, and Xu-Friedman MA (2015) Activity-dependent, homeostatic regulation of neurotransmitter release from auditory nerve fibers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 112: 6479-84.
- Yang H and Xu-Friedman MA (2013) Stochastic properties of neurotransmitter release expand the dynamic range of synapses. J Neurosci 33: 14406-14416.
- Xu-Friedman MA (2013) Illustrating concepts of quantal analysis with an intuitive classroom model. Adv Physiol Educ 37: 112-116.