We are currently accepting applications to the following program:
- MA Fall semester: deadline June 30
MA applications that are complete by March 31, 2017, will be reviewed in the next cycle.
Biological Sciences processes applications through UB’s online GrAdMIT application program.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Transcripts from every college attended
- Personal Statement (for instructions, see below under your program)
- GRE scores (Institution code 2925, Department code 0203)
- Email addresses of three people who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation
- After you submit the application, the three recommenders will receive emails with instructions for uploading letters.
- A non-refundable application fee of $75.00
- Fee waivers are available for Fall Masters applicants who have at least a 3.0 GPA. Please apply at http://www.cas.buffalo.edu/staylonger/
International applicants should also provide the following:
- TOEFL scores (Institution code 2925, Department code 35)
- A copy of passport biographical page
- Graduate International Financial form
The Graduate Admissions Office strongly encourages application documents to be sent electronically. If you have difficulty doing so, please contact Ms Betsy Thornton by E-mail or telephone 716-645-2363.
Please note that we will only review your application once it is complete and the application fee has been paid.
Special instructions for MA program
MA applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We accept applications until December 15 for the spring term and June 30 for the fall term. Early submission may increase the chance of acceptance.
No standardized test scores are required for MA applicants who 1) earned a Bachelor’s degree in a life science discipline at UB and 2) graduated with a GPA ≥ 3.2.
Other professional exam scores, such as an MCAT or DAT, may be submitted in place of the GRE for MA applicants who do not meet the above criteria.
The personal statement (750-1000 words) should discuss your ultimate career goals, your experiences that shaped this interest, and how the MA program will help you achieve these goals.
Special instructions for BA/MS program
Applications must be received by January 2 to enroll the following fall semester.
To be eligible for the BA/MS program, applicants must be current UB juniors majoring in Biological Sciences with a GPA ≥ 3.2. In addition, applicants should be on track to complete the five core biology courses (BIO 200, 201, 203, 205, 319) by the second semester of their junior year.
GRE scores are optional for the BA/MS program.
The personal statement (750-1000 words) should discuss why you are interested in earning this degree, what personal experiences have shaped this interest, and what research topics you would like to pursue for your MS research project.
Special instructions for the MS and PhD programs
Applications must be received by January 2 for full consideration for fellowships/assistantships to start the following fall semester.
The personal statement (750-1000 words) should discuss why you are interested in earning this degree, what personal experiences have shaped this interest, and what research topics you would like to pursue for your MS or PhD research project.
For a pdf version of the information in this website, please click here.